St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church

203 E. Washington St. Stockton CA 95202
Office Phone: (209) 948-0661 
Fax: (209) 948-0673

History of Saint Mary of the Assumption Church of Stockton
California

History of Saint Mary of the Assumption Church of Stockton
California

At the time St. Mary’s Parish was formed, California was in transition and the mission system manned by the Franciscan and along the coast was in decline. Two events gave rise to these changes. In 1848, Mexico ceded California, as well as Texas and New Mexico, to the the United States. That same year, gold was discovered, and thousands of people flooded into California seeking their fortune in the Mother Lode. Stockton suddenly became important because of its location on the banks of the San Joaquin River.

Priests often traveled with immigrants coming to this area. One such man was Father Villarrasa. Most believe he was the first to hold Catholic services in Stockton. Another priest, Father Dominic Blaive, came to Stockton with a French party in 1851. Captain Charles Weber, the founder of the city, convinced Father Blaive to remain, and he became the first pastor of Saint Mary’s Parish. Captain Weber donated the property on Washington Street where at first a Wooden Church was constructed. It was a genuine product of the early days as white cloth took the place of plaster and the altar was made of rough boards.

When Father Blaive became Pastor, St Mary’s Parish presided over a vast region. There were no official boundaries and the expanse even covered areas beyond what is today San Joaquin and Stanislaus Counties. Because of this large territory, the pastors of St. Mary’s found it necessary to establish mission churches to serve Catholic families many miles away. As the number of Catholics in these missions grew and they could stand on their own, they became Parishes. The process of forming new Parishes began in 1852 with St Louis at La Grange and ended in 1951 with St. George’s in Stockton. This explains why St. Mary’s is considered the Mother Church. Even the church building that became the Annunciation Cathedral of the Diocese of Stockton was conceived and built by a pastor of Saint Mary’s Parish.

Five years after the wooden church was constructed, it became evident that a larger building was needed. By 1860, about 3,700 lived in Stockton. The third pastor of Saint Mary’s Parish, Father Robert Maurice, initiated an annual Festival to raise money to build a new church. Father Joseph Gallagher was pastor of the church on July 7, 1861, when the cornerstone of the present day brick building was set. Archbishop Alemany dedicated the church of Saint Mary of the Immaculate Conception. Though this was the official name, most Catholics were more inclined to Assumption.

Though the First Mass was said in the new church on Christmas Eve of 1861, the church building was not fully completed until 1913. It was built in sections, each section being constructed as funds were acquired. Due to the fact that it was so long under construction many architects and contractors had a hand in its building. Although the present church has not been entirely constructed according to the original plan, it is a fine representation of the Gothic design in church structures. The exterior of thechurch has undergone some repairs since 1913, but remains essentially as it was then. The interior of the Church iis another story. There were major renovations and changes made in the 1940s, 1960s. Four of the frames of the original Stations of the Cross were used to form the present tabernacle.

By 1870, almost five thousand people lived in Stockton. One report noted that the inhabitants came from many ethnic groups. With this booming population, Father William B O’Connor, became the fifth pastor of Saint Mary’s in 1872, and would serve until 1911. In the course of his work for the Parish, Father O’Connor accomplished much. He founded St. Joseph’s Hospital. A life size statue of him erected in 1914 still stands in the gardens of the hospital on California Street. Father O’Connor also built schools and was instrumental in having members of religious orders brought to Stockton.

Father O’Connor served his flock well and was especially loved for his courageous work in 1881, when a terrible smallpox plague swept over Stockton killing hundreds.  Father O’Connor went to each house-Catholic, protestant, and Jew alike to bring consolation. There were many tears when he died in 1911. One protestant writer said of him: to the church he served we do not belong. But to the holy and beautiful and serene and useful life of this good man, we want to pay the homage of sincere and abundant respect.

A bell weighing fifteen hundred pounds, cast in 1853, and carried around the horn once hung in Saint Mary's Church. The bell is now in the tower of the Cathedral of the Annunciation. The bell was moved by Father William E McGough who succeeded William O’Connor as pastor. The new pastor was no ordinary man. Like O’Connor, he was full of energy and Saint Mary’s Parish prospered under his direction. In 1936, Pope Pius XII elevated him to Monsignor.

Monsignor McGough noticed that north Stockton was becoming more important. He decided that a new church was needed. He conceived that his “New Saint Mary’s” would replace the Old Saint Mary’s on Washington Street. He planned to have the old church torn down! With this in mind, the Monsignor had the bell moved to the “New Saint Mary’s. World War II came along and interrupted the Monsignor plans. After the war, the sentiment changed and the “Old Saint Mary’s” was spared. But that created another problem. There were two churches referred to as “Saint Mary’s” in Stockton. To reduce the misunderstanding, the New church on Rose Street became Saint Mary’s of the Annunciations, while the “Old Church was to be known as Saint Mary’s of the Assumption”. It is not entirely clear what happened to the name.

In 1944, while Monsignor McGough stayed on as pastor of the New Saint Mary’s, the Reverend James O’Connor became pastor of Old Saint Mary’s. He is not to be confused with William B. O’Connor talked about earlier, but he, like his predecessor, was energetic. One of his first endeavors was to retrieve the bell. What followed is an amusing piece of church history. The Archbishop decided that the bell should be returned which made Monsignor McGough unhappy.



Historia de la iglesia Santa María de la
Asunción de Stockton California

En el momento en que se formó la parroquia de Santa María, California estaba en transición y el sistema de misión tripulada por los franciscanos a lo largo de la costa estaba en decadencia. Dos eventos dieron lugar a estos cambios. En 1848, México cedió California, así como Texas y nuevo México, a los Estados Unidos. Ese mismo año, oro fue descubierto, y miles de personas inundaron California en busca su fortuna en la veta de oro. Stockton repentinamente se convirtió en importante por su ubicación a orillas del río San Joaquín.

Sacerdotes viajaban a menudo con los inmigrantes que vienen a esta zona. Uno de ellos era el padre de Villarrasa. La mayoría creía que él era el primero en ofrecer servicios católicos en Stockton. Otro sacerdote, Padre Dominic Blaive, vino a Stockton con una fiesta francesa en 1851. Capitán Charles Weber, fundador de la ciudad, convenció al Padre Blaive a quedarse, y se convirtió en el primer párroco de la parroquia de Santa María. Capitán Weber donó la propiedad en la calle de Washington, donde al principio se construyó una iglesia de madera. Fue un genuino producto de los primeros días como paño blanco tomó el lugar de yeso y el altar fue hecho de tablas rudas.

Cuando el padre Blaive se convirtió en Pastor, parroquia de Santa María presidió una vasta región. No había límites oficiales y las áreas de extensión cubierto incluso más allá de lo que es hoySan Joaquín y condados de Stanislaus. Debido a este amplio territorio, los pastores de Santa María vieron necesario establecer iglesias de misión para servir a las familias católicas muchas millas de distancia. Como creció el número de católicos en esas misiones, y se convirtieron en parroquias. El proceso de formación de nuevas parroquias comenzó en 1852 con St. Luis en La Grange y terminó en 1951 con St. George en Stockton. Esto explica por qué Santa María se considera la iglesia madre. Incluso el edificio de la iglesia se convirtió en la Catedral de la Anunciación de la diócesis de Stockton fue construida por un pastor de la parroquia de Santa María.

Cinco años después que se construyó la iglesia de madera, se hizo evidente que se necesitaba un edificio más grande.En 1860, unos 3.700 vivían en Stockton. El tercer pastor de la parroquia de Santa María, Padre Robert Maurice, inicio un Festival anual para recaudar fondos para construir una nueva iglesia. Padre Joseph Gallagher fue pastor de la iglesia el 07 de julio de 1861, cuando se establece la piedra angular del edificio de ladrillo de hoy en día. Arzobispo Alemany había dedicada la iglesia de Santa María de la Inmaculada Concepción. ¿Aunque este era el nombre oficial, la mayoría de los católicos estaban más inclinación la Asunción?

Aunque la primera Misa se dijo en la nueva iglesia en la Nochebuena de 1861, edificio de la iglesia no se completó totalmente hasta 1913. Fue construida en secciones, cada sección se construye como fondos fueron adquiridos. Debido a que era tan largo el proceso de construcción que muchos arquitectos y contratistas dejaron su mano en el edificio. Aunque la iglesia actual no ha sido completamente construida según el plan original, es una fina representación del diseño gótico en estructuras dela iglesia. El exterior de la iglesia ha sufrido algunas reparaciones desde 1913, pero los  restos esencialmente son como lo fue entonces. El interior de la iglesia es otra historia. Hubo renovaciones importantes y los cambios se realizaron en la década de 1940,década de 1960. Cuatro de los marcos de las originales vía crucis fueron utilizado para formar el tabernáculo actual.

En 1870, casi 5 mil personas vivían en Stockton. Un informe señaló que los habitantes vinieron de muchos grupos étnicos. Con esta pujante población, padre William B O'Connor, se convirtió en el quinto párroco de Santa María en 1872 y serviría hasta el 1911. En el curso de su trabajo para la parroquia, padre O'Connor había logrado mucho. Fundó el Hospital de San José. Una estatua del tamaño de la vida de él fue levantada en 1914,  todavía está en los jardines del hospital en la calle California. Padre O'Connor también construyó escuelas y fue
instrumento en atraer miembros de órdenes religiosas a Stockton.

El Padre O'Connor sirvió a su rebaño bien y era especialmente querido por su valiente trabajo en 1881, cuando una plaga terrible de viruela se extendió sobre Stockton matando a cientos de personas.  Padre O'Connor fue a cada casa católica, protestante y judío para llevar consuelo. Hubo muchas lágrimas cuando murió en 1911. Uno escritor protestante dijo sí a la iglesia  que sirvió no pertenecemos, pero a la vida Santa y hermosa y serena y útil de este buen hombre, nosotros queremos rendir homenaje de respeto sincero y abundante.

Una campana que pesa mil quinientas libras, fundido en 1853 y una vez colgado en mayo en la iglesia de Santa María. La campana está en la torre de la Catedral de la Anunciación. La campana fue trasladada por el padre William E McGough que William O'Connor como pastor. El nuevo pastor no fue ningún hombre ordinario. Como o ' Connor, él estaba lleno de energía y la parroquia de Santa María prosperado bajo su dirección. En 1936, Papa Pío XII lo elevó a Monseñor.

Monseñor McGough notó que el norte de Stockton era cada vez más importante. Decidió que era necesario una nueva iglesia. Concibió que su "nueva Santa María" sustituirá a la vieja de Santa María en la calle de Washington. ¡Él planeó que la vieja iglesia destruida! Con esto en mente, el Monseñor tenía la campana se trasladó a "nueva Santa María. La segunda guerra mundial vino adelante e interrumpe los planes de Monseñor. Después de la guerra, el sentimiento cambió y se salvó la Iglesia "vieja de Santa María". Pero eso crea otro problema. Había dos iglesias contempladas como "Santa María" en Stockton. Parareducir la confusión, la nueva iglesia en la calle de Rose se convirtió en Santa María de la Anunciación, mientras que la "vieja iglesia era conocida como Santa María de la Asunción". No es enteramente claro qué pasó con el nombre.

En 1944, mientras Monseñor McGough se mantuvo como pastor de la nueva Santa María, el Reverendo James O'Connor se convirtió en pastor de la vieja Santa María. El no debe ser confundido con Guillermo B. o ' Connor de que hablamos antes, y, como su predecesor, fue enérgico. Uno de sus primeros esfuerzos fue recuperar la campana. Lo que siguió es una pieza divertida de la historia de la iglesia. El arzobispo decidió que debe devolverse  la campana, lo que hizo infeliz a Monseñor McGough.